Sunday, January 13, 2013

High Tech Weapons

So I had a discussion where "High Tech Killing" machines was brought up.  Let me recap what I did say, and what I should have said.

The AR15 isn't a high tech killing machine.  The AR15 is America's rifle.  It was first designed in the late 1950's and bought by Colt in 1959, the same year as the Edsel's appearance on the market.  Turns out I was wrong, the Edsel appeared on the market in '57.  Still neither are high tech.  Original rifles came out with 20rd magazines, and that was the way they were officially issued in Vietnam in 1963. In 1974 the military went to 30rd Magazines.  I was born in '69, my sister in '73, neither of us are high tech either.  (As I mentioned before, 10 round magazines are crippled magazines, 20 and 30 rounds are standard, not high capacity).

There have been nearly 8 million of the rifles manufactured worldwide, and President Obama is apparently responsible for selling another 1 millon of them over the last couple of year. In fact I guessed that the AR pattern rifle had sold 1 million units a year for the last year.  The ATF numbers are here.  Unfortunately I guessed higher than what my quick analysis of ATF's numbers reveal.  I am sure I am missing some manufacturers.

Bushmaster        38,075
Colt                   16,419
Stag Arms          34,211
Noveske              1,437
Daniel Def            6.911
Wilson                    315
Patriot ord              783
Armalite            12, 253
Lewis MT            4,998
Rock River         33,871
doublestar             1,620
Smith & Wes.   156,705
DPMS                38,411
Sig Arms             31,025
PSA                    18,163
Aero Precis         39,565

Total                  423,762

Total RIFLES produced 2011   2,318,088

or roughly 4/23 (17%), I guessed 25%

So ~17% of the total produced were AR-15 type rifles (according to my quick search through the data) and they are hardly cheap weapons.


Important note:    Rumor is that Magpul is 1,000,000 units back ordered.

Important note:    There is little or no 223 ammo to be found.

Reasonable inference:  People aren't about to give up their rifles?

So what do you think about a ban or confiscation?  I don't think a confiscation will happen, a ban can't get through congress.  That leaves executive orders, and even if he has the balls, he doesn't have the laws to make that stick.

I have been writing this on and off for awhile.  It was on another site previously and I had about given up writing.  Can you throw me some love?  Leave me a note, tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lets keep it classy people!